Civil Society Section
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INDIGENOUS PEOPLES AND MINORITIES SECTION
TERMS OF REFERENCE
SENIOR INDIGENOUS FELLOW POSITION
Duration: 1 May – 31 July 2012
Location: Indigenous Peoples and Minority Section – Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva
The Indigenous Peoples and Minorities Section (IPMS) of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is seeking an indigenous person to fill the position of “Senior Fellow” for a duration of approximately three months (1 May – 31 July 2012).
The Senior Indigenous Fellowship aims at giving the selected indigenous person an in-depth understanding of the international human rights system and mechanisms, especially those dealing with indigenous issues. Through this experience, the Senior Fellow will gain practical knowledge and working level experience by directly contributing to the programmes and activities of the IPMS. Such exposure will also allow him/her to develop an extensive contact network with OHCHR staff in general, as well as other UN departments or agencies and human rights NGOs in Geneva.
The Senior Fellow is expected to return to his/her home country with an enhanced set of skills and expertise to contribute towards the promotion and protection of human rights of indigenous peoples at the national, regional or international level.
Terms of reference:
The Senior Indigenous Fellow will be working in the Indigenous Peoples and Minorities Section of OHCHR under the guidance and supervision of the Chief of Section and the Coordinator of the Indigenous Fellowship Programme and will be requested to:
- Participate in the section’s activities through substantive research, analysis and reports on developments concerning indigenous peoples
- Participate in, and contribute to, the training activities, workshops or international meetings organized by OHCHR, such as the Indigenous Fellowship Programme and the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Perform other tasks that contribute to his/her capacity to advance the rights of indigenous peoples
The candidate must be indigenous. He/she should have:
* A university degree preferably in law, political sciences, international relations or any other disciplines related to human rights.
* Minimum of four years of working experience in the field of indigenous peoples’rights.
* He/she should be fluent in English. Other language skills including Spanish, French or Russian are highly desirable.
The candidate selected is entitled to a monthly stipend to cover basic living expenses in Geneva, as well as return ticket and basic health insurance. Please note that this is not a regular employment position within OHCHR and it does not lead to employment rights and entitlements beyond the terms of the fellowship.
Interested candidates should submit their applications by fax (+41 22 917 90 08) with a cover letter indicating “Application to the 2012 Senior Indigenous Fellowship Position” or by post at:
Indigenous Peoples and Minorities Section
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Although we do not encourage you to send your application by email, scanned applications can also be received at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The application should include the following documents:
1) A Curriculum Vitae
2) A letter of motivation (maximum 3 pages), in which the candidate will explain his/her expectations, what he/she hopes to achieve through this fellowship and what he/she expects to do upon return to promote indigenous rights
3) A letter of recommendation from the organization / entity they are affiliated with
The deadline to receive applications is: 30 November 2011. Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Civil Society Section
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Tel. +41 (0) 22 – 917 – 9656 Visit our website: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/AboutUs/Pages/CivilSociety.aspx [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=czh8asdab&et=1107899685754&s=1013&e=001MLU117ygHcgyrtpGDGyAxm_RkFDEGQLP8VLMDf0QNEfUjCSQs2oX-idF3EFu5VvumWn3EUJ5wVDBrR4paLL1qhS-39hdqLCxVciKDZoGD8U6841BJHqtPta6RmZmPuUbuhOF3L1iufWfe_XgOt5m8Jhqf08ZBkEU]
Click here to join our mailing list: